Re: two piece wheels

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: two piece wheels
From: Todd Osborn <trosborn@california.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 20:28:05 -0700
Phillip,
I've had a set of EMPI two-piece wheels on my 68 since I bought it in
74, they look great polished (lots of work though). I didn't know they
were used by Bob Bondurant, that's cool. You can see my wheels at the
following (kindly recorded by Fred Katz):
        http://www.2xtreme.net/fredkatz/images/890s00.jpg
Answers to specific questions below.
Todd Osborn
68 2L DATSFUN
San Jose, CA

Hall, Phillip wrote:

> List
>
> I went to Atlanta this weekend and picked up a set of EMPI's from a Z car
> guy.  These are the same wheels that Bob Bondurant had on his racing schools
> white 2000.  These wheels look GREAT - almost in perfect shape!!  Even came
> with almost new 195-60-14s.  These weren't as cheap as the wheels Rob found,
> but a price I could not refuse.  The EMPIs will give my '66 a classic look -
> I did not want that Honda want-a-be look.  The guy that sold these wheels
> has one of the nicest restored 240's I have seen in a long time - beautiful
> car.
>
> I have some questions on these wheels.
>
> How rare are these.

I have never seen another set on a roadster, though I know of 4 people
(including you) who have them. Since I have a set, I believe they are
extremly rare and add $$$$ to the value of my roadster ;-)

> These came with tubes and one is bad.  How much are seals for two piece
> wheels and where do you get them.

I don't think the seals are available. I had some o-rings made by the
local Parker Seal rep, mostly neoprene, differing sizes and hardness --
but always had a slow leak. One problem with o-rings is the need a very
smooth finish (better than 16 micro-inch), which is difficult to
maintain in aluminum. Parker makes a square seal that might work better.
You MSFC guys probably have more experience with o-rings than I do ;-),
I gave up and went back to tubes.

> It doesn't look like the wheels have been taken apart for a long time - if
> ever.  Do you take these apart to change tires or once assembled do you
> treat them like any other one piece wheel and leave them bolted together.

Unlike conventional wheels these EMPIs have no drop center and *must* be
disassembled to change tires (don't even get them close to a tire
machine).  I struggled with methods for breaking the bead, but finally
found it best to just work the bead down slowly with two tire irons.
They don't actually seat the bead like a normal wheel, just a slight
taper from the center of the wheel.

> If it remember right the Roadster ('66) wheel studs are 7/16-20.  Is that
> correct?

Correct, I am using lug nuts from a 72 Capri (suprisingly not metric),
not sure this is the best approach but no problems so far. BTW, no need
for wheel locks, you need a 3/4" thin wall socket to get them off.