Roadster down, need help.

To: "ROADSTER LIST" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Roadster down, need help.
From: "Dave Mehl" <waterback@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:40:06 -0700
On my way back from Sundays NOWROC run I had two things happen to the
roadster. The first, and easiest fixed was the bottom loop of the throttle
return spring for the rear carb broke off. The engine wouldn't idle down at
all. It was pretty scary, I must admit. I pulled over to see if I could
identify the problem, and saw the spring hanging there loose. I took it off
and McGivred a new loop on the end by inserting the two end coils of the
spring into the sheet metal holes of the trunk lid, and using that and a
jack knife, I pried the coils apart forming a loop. This worked very well.

The next thing that happened was that the clutch malfunctioned. I thought
that one of the hydraulic components had gone south, but after checking,
that doesn't appear to be the case. Since nursing the poor thing home I have
checked for leaking hydraulic fluid (and found none), flushed the system,
and reset the clutch adjustment. I'm not sure if the throw-out bearing is
gone or what. There are none of the usual noises that would accompany the
throw-out bearing going bad. The clutch only partly disengages. The
actuating piston of the slave cylinder moves the release lever, and holds
pressure with out fading. It's enough drag to stall the engine, and it will
barely go in gear at all.  The drag is jerky, like a warped clutch. I don't
drive with my foot on the clutch pedal, and it wasn't slipping at all that
day, or ever since I have had the car.

So what do the list members say?
Is there hope?

Thanx, Dave.