Re[2]: Ball joints

To: Fred Katz <fredkatz@2xtreme.net>,
Subject: Re[2]: Ball joints
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:44:08 -0700
Yes on the lower ball-joints the shaft spins inside the ball. You said that
others told you that there should not be a lot of play in the lower
ball-joints. Was this straight off the car (with the grease and dirt), or
after cleaning them of all grease? I completely degreased mine before
checking.

I'm puzzled. Now I can imagine that once they are bolted up on the lower
A-arm and spindle that the shaft pulls the ball up tight against the
socket. I can't see any use of the shaft spinning inside the ball, as that
would defeat the purpose of the ball in the socket. What I mean, is that
the ball would spread the contact area load over a large friction-less
surface because of the grease. Not so with the shaft spinning in the ball.

Fred "katman" - So.SF
BADROC