Re: Ball joints

To: Fred Katz <fredkatz@2xtreme.net>
Subject: Re: Ball joints
From: Mike/Chris Clothier <mclothier@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 14:20:01 -0700

Fred Katz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I read with interest, Russell Criswell's message about his upper A-arm and
> the shocks. I have KYB shocks and they installed with no problem through
> the lower A-arm. Are there different sizes of KYB's for the front?
>
> My main question is about ball joints. If you have great condition ball
> joints, what are they supposed to feel like if you were to move them
> through their full range of motion?
>
> I cleaned up the set I took off the junker '68 I chopped up. The upper ball
> joints are very stiff, and difficult to move around. However, the lower
> ball joints are very loose, and the ball has a lot of space under it's
> orbit in the socket. Are they supposed to be loose, or should they be tight
> like the upper ball joints?
>
> Fred "katman" - So.SF
> BADROC

Fred......
I ask the same question and got the impression from those who responded that
there should not be alot of play in the lower ball-joints. I have a question
for you.... my lower ball-joints seem to be in two pieces. the shaft spins
inside the ball. Does yours do this? Has anyone else experienced this?
Mike Clothier
Norco,Ca.
70 1600
68 1600 future auto-x