Limping home last night

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Limping home last night
From: Robert.Long@CSDInc.com
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:20:45 -0600
Dear Listers,

I finished putting together my new door panels Sunday night (Re-vinyled the
panels, re-vinyled that top trim piece, and
cleaned those aluminum ridged trim pieces with an electric wire wheel).  So,
last night I figured I better go for a spin
and show off.

About an hour later, I couldn't shift into 3rd or 4th.  I've had a slight
grind shifting from 2nd to 3rd, and an even slighter
grind from 3rd to 4th, for some time now (syncros?).  My plan was to live
with the ginding this summer and tear into it
over winter.  Well, looks like this project has moved to the top of my list.

I've never torn into a transmission before, so I'm sorta gun shy.  Is there
an FAQ out there detailing the steps for pulling
the tranny?  Is re-building the tranny something I can do, or do I need to
take it to someone?  I assume that I ought to
go ahead and replace the clutch while I've got everything apart, any other
work I should do?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but sure would like to hear from
anyone with tranny experience.

Thanks...Robert - 67.5 1600 (4-speed) - Albuquerque