Upper Tensioner Shimming

To: "datsun roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Upper Tensioner Shimming
From: "nruff" <nruffcorn@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 20:31:41 -0500
What is the best way to make shims for the upper tensioner?  I have read all
the archives which suggests steel washers, conduit, plastic washers, and of
course, the not so popular "zip-tie"<g>.

I never noticed any rattle during startup in the colder months.  The
combination of misadjusted carbs and having to crank the motor for 15
seconds while choking, allowed oil pressure to build up.  Now the carbs are
adjusted much better (but still need work) and on initial startup I get
rattle for maybe 3 seconds.  I was surprised to hear it as the motor has new
chains, gears, and cam tower shims.  Even with the dislike of tensioner
shims, I think I will be fine for a long time after making this fix.

The shims seem really easy, but I would rather learn from others than make
an expensive mistake.

Thanks again!
Nathan