Re: ZX wheels a shakin'

To: <Beamonk@aol.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ZX wheels a shakin'
From: "nruff" <nruffcorn@prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 20:40:52 -0500

> I have taken out my car with the newly finished zx wheels. With new tires
> they balanced out very well. I put them on with the 7/16 lugs with double
> washers. After about 30 or so miles I have not lost a wheel and the lugs
> remain tight, but the car feels unbalanced and tends to shake. The general
> consenus is to use the 12mm lugs and z car studs, which I didn't. I tried
the
> skinniest 12mm stud that my parts guy had, but they were not even close to
> fitting. Is the zx  stud tapered, is it skinny behind the threads or will
> have to drill out my rotors to get the bigger studs to fit? Any other
idead
> will be appreciated, I recall a tapered lug and insert wqas suggested, but
> anyone I have called goes "huh" Thanks.
> John Brasfield BTW alignment and everything else is good

Sounds like you have gotten some great suggestions already!.  I really liked
the suggestion about using tapering nuts to center the wheel on the hub.
Unless you are using a really new wheel, the center hub should be the right
size.  Only thing I will add......double check the threads on the lugs and
studs-especially the front ones.  The shoulder on the stock studs protrudes
quite a ways out.  Even with the two washers, the lugs could possibly be too
long, allowing it to bottom out on the shoulder and giving a false torque on
the lugs.

Nruff
67 2000 (with ZX wheels)