Re: ZX wheels a shakin'

To: Beamonk@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ZX wheels a shakin'
From: DemonTSi@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 14:40:09 EDT
In a message dated 07/14/2000 8:39:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Beamonk@aol.com writes:

> I have taken out my car with the newly finished zx wheels. With new tires
>  they balanced out very well. I put them on with the 7/16 lugs with double
>  washers. After about 30 or so miles I have not lost a wheel and the lugs
>  remain tight, but the car feels unbalanced and tends to shake. The general
>  consenus is to use the 12mm lugs and z car studs, which I didn't. I tried
> the
>  skinniest 12mm stud that my parts guy had, but they were not even close to
>  fitting. Is the zx  stud tapered, is it skinny behind the threads or will
>  have to drill out my rotors to get the bigger studs to fit? Any other
idead
>  will be appreciated, I recall a tapered lug and insert wqas suggested, but
>  anyone I have called goes "huh" Thanks.

What year Z wheels are you running? I know that the centerbore on some of the
later Z wheels are just a tad too small to fit over the roadster's front hub.
So what happens is the front wheel will feel like it fits perfectly, but it
really won't be sitting flush against the hub because of the centerbore. Then
when you tighten the wheel down, you'll either end up tweaking the mounting
of the wheel a little bit....and/or you'll crush the hub. If this is the
problem, the best solution is to either bore out the wheel, or easier yet,
just run a thin spacer on each side in the front...

Van