Shasta 2000 good times

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Shasta 2000 good times
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 18:02:55 -0700
Thanks to Ken Pearce who did a fantastic job with the Shasta pictures, they
really captured the good times that were had by all who went. There are
some good shots of Barbie in there. I swear she was giving me the eye
during the group pictures (she was sitting on the rollbar right in front of
car).

Too bad Robb Pynes and the U-20 Bombers didn't have a T-shirt for this
year, as I was really looking forward to seeing what was next after Solex
Suzi and Nitrous Nell. I wait with anticipation for next year to see the
next T-shirt! (Plug - he still has many wonderful shirts for sale.)

Calspeed, your pics are great too. In his pictures, the chrome he was
mentioning that I bought for my car were the tail-lamps and the center
piece of the dash that holds the paddle switches. Funny how a $25 piece can
make such a difference, best $25 investment I've made on the car! My car
was side by side with Herb Petty and his modified '66. He won first place
modified 1600 (and best of show), and I was runner-up as second place
modified 1600. Inspiration for my work on my cars came from seeing Herb's
car several years ago - thanks Herby.

Some BADROC'rs headed down the highway from the roadster show for the all
Nissan/Datsun event at Mt. Shasta, and Stephan's wife Ellen hitched a ride
in my '66. On the freeway during some wind turbulence the suspension didn't
feel right so I pulled over to check it out. Despite waving my arms and
blasting my horn, the other guys blasted right past me and kept on going.
Ooookay... well, Ellen and I got lost and ended up on this not-very-used
road (weeds growing up thru the asphalt), and found this old local guy on
the side of the road. Says "some kind of European car?". No sir, a Datsun.
Puzzled look, so I said "Japanese", don't know that he believed us. He said
the road would take us to Mt. Shasta but most of it was a dirt road and
that my "girlfriend" might not like it. Hmmmn, Ellen's gorgeous but forget
that road as I can imagine what Stephan would do to me if my car got stuck
out there with his wife! We found our way to the all Nissan show, and the
BADROC'rs showed up afterwards. Hmmmn again, seems they didn't notice we
were gone, as they got lost as well. There was a good turnout of roadsters
there, although I was disappointed that only two were doing the auto-x (and
not doing so well). Maybe we can talk Calspeed and Shifty into doing the
auto-x next year.

The banquet had a couple of welcome surprises. Thanks were give to the
Almazon's for all their work in putting together the Shasta event, and Ross
Mullen was given a standing ovation for having started the shows many years
ago (16?). Well deserved praise.

I finally managed to win a couple raffle prizes. One was a U20 air filter
which went to good use in Dana Nojima's red 2000 (Dana, yah gotta change
them when they turn all black ;> ). The other was a shop manual so BADROC
can stop relying on the hammer so much to fix our engines.

We did a late-night run on some roads. Awesome, what with a clear sky
filled with stars and the moon. And then hanging around the motel Saturday
night over some beers (thanks Francis Anand for the endless supply).

I'll try to get pics posted of every roadster there. A few of them I don't
have names for (no placards).

Can't wait for next year!

Fred "katman" - So.SF
BADROC