Re: Dairyland Datsun Roadster Day-out

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dairyland Datsun Roadster Day-out
From: bill wessel <bwessel@itis.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 20:22:03 -0500
Hello Midwest Roadster owners,

It's just around the corner, Sunday, July 23rd, the Dairyland Datsun
Roadster Dayout to be held at scenic Road America in beautiful Elkhart
Lake, WI in conjunction with the Merrill Lynch/Brian Redman International
Challenge (BRIC). This is one of the biggest and best vintage race meets in
the country. Though our meet is set for just Sunday, there will be track
touring available this year on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for $75 per
session. Can-Am thunder will roar on Sunday. Plus the original (street)
road course will be marked for touring to celebrate 50 years of racing in
Elkhart Lake. Camping is available at the track (new this year, $75). Super
tickets are $60, single day passes are $15 Friday, $25 Saturday and $35
Sunday.

Bring your sunglasses, sunscreen, a folding chair, walking shoes, cooler
(carry-ins allowed), and a windbreaker/umbrella (weather is
changable)....and your roadster. Meet us at the Windy City Z-car club
corral (use gate 4) on the outside of turn three. For more info on the BRIC
and Road America, go to <www.roadamerica.com>.

This will be our eleventh year of holding a roadster gathering at the BRIC
(formerly the Chicago Historics). We started in 1990. Believe it or not,
we've never broken into double figures for roadsters in attendance, even
when I used to send out mailed invitations. And I'll be the first to admit
I don't put even that much effort into organizing this anymore. However,
you'd have to travel to Monterey to see a better collection of cars and
vintage racing and you won't see the number of Can-Am cars at the afore
mentioned west coast event that the BRIC seems to get at Road America. If
you've never been up to RA, or if you haven't been up for awhile, the track
management have been quite busy upgrading the grounds and facilities. Track
food is the BEST in the country, with several stands run independently,
each with their own specialties (steamed corn, barbeque pork, brats, ice
cream, beer, etc). They've even put in a path down the back section of the
course where you can stand a mere 10' from the track at the "catcher's
mitt" (turn 11) just down from the kink. I was there for the Grand-Am's
this past weekend and the scream from the Sports Racers was DEAFENING but
soo COOL, I was awestruck.....but I digress. Anyway, hope you can join us,
talk roadster and enjoy the racing. Sunday, July 23rd at Road America for
the Dairyland Datsun Roadster Day-out at the BRIC.

Ps. If, for weather reasons or whatever, you choose not to drive your
roadster, please do stop in at the Z-zone outside turn 3 just the same. I,
myself, may be in my new toy (an '88 BMW M5, makes not racing less
unbearable!).

See you there,

Bill Wessel
Madison, WI