Re: a arm questions

To: Adam Fox <foxy@pipeline.com.au>
Subject: Re: a arm questions
From: noji <noji@snowman.med.umn.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 09:39:19 -0700

Adam Fox wrote:

> Ive just got some bits back from the sandblasters, and ive noticed that one
> of the arms on the lower front supsension a arm is almost seized. Im
> guessing that the grease has "dried out". The other arm easily rotates
> right off( i have the center spring/shockmount section removed). Can you
> pull these apart or are they pressed together? Does the large nut on the
> end have any function. Also how do i go about pulling the upper a arms
> apart? Any help much appreciated.....

Adam,

Often the grease is not dried out, rather the PO or CO has not put any
grease to the front end for several years.  I have several spindles that
show excessive wear that put fear in my heart.  One way to get these
apart is to leave the "Big Nuts" in place and remove the triangular
piece from the other end and rotate the arms off the spindle.

Dana