Re: a arm questions

To: Adam Fox <foxy@pipeline.com.au>,
Subject: Re: a arm questions
From: R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 06:30:50 -0700
> Ive just got some bits back from the sandblasters, and ive noticed that one
> of the arms on the lower front supsension a arm is almost seized. Im
> guessing that the grease has "dried out". The other arm easily rotates
> right off( i have the center spring/shockmount section removed). Can you
> pull these apart or are they pressed together? Does the large nut on the
> end have any function. Also how do i go about pulling the upper a arms
> apart? Any help much appreciated.....

Adam,
The big nut at the end of the A-frame shaft is screwed into the A frame and the
shaft is screwed into the nut.  Dried grease, possibly some of the sand
blasting may have jammed it up a bit.  I think it takes about 13 revolutions to
unscrew each of the 2 pieces of the A frame.  You will need some muscle, a vice
and a big socket with a long extension to unscrew it.  If the threads are
rusted on the shaft, this will need to be taken to the machine shop to be
rewelded and rethreaded.  I am doing this now.  That lower shaft is NLA from
Nissan.  Maybe one of the vendors has one, Rallye doesn't have them.  Anyway it
needs to be taken apart and cleaned up and regreased, then new seals between
the shaft and A frame arm.
Hope that helps.
Bob
Moscow