fuel mixture problems

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: fuel mixture problems
From: "Mitch Planck" <mitch@ias.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 09:05:24 -0400
I just put in my new distributor and fuel pump, tuned up the carbs a bit,
set the engine timing to 16 deg btdc, and my fuel mixture seems to be way to
rich at idle. This is on a '69 1600 with a 'smog' distributor. I've got a
colortune and the color is bright yellow, showing a rich mixture, and I
can't get it to the blue color unless I lift the piston in the carb with my
finger. The knob under the carb isn't doing anything. I've got the idle set
at around 600 but it is very rough. When I do lift the piston the idle
smooths out too. Does anyone know how to properly lean out the mixture or
what may be up?

Thanks,
Mitch Planck
'69 1600 - SPL311-25379