Advice on how to swap a high-windshield dash

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Advice on how to swap a high-windshield dash
From: Teddy Seidenfeld <teddy@stat.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 12:44:26 -0400
Dear Friends,

I'd like to change my old (cracked) high windshield dash for one that I've
salvaged from my parts car.

I have the entire replacment dash, including dash wiring harness, intact
and undamaged.

I believe that I can remove the top screws on the old dash without taking
out the windshield, that's not my problem.

My question is what parts of the existing (old) dash circuitry and gauges
can I leave in place while swapping dashes?

Everything electrical/mechanical currently works on my dash -- I'm looking
to swap the dash housing only, if that is at all possible.

Specifically, is it a "must" to remove the old (functioning) wiring
harness, as well, when I take off the old dash?  It seems like a lot of
additional work to rewire the dash harness through to the engine
compartment -- on both sides!  Or, can I leave the old wiring harness in
place and reattach its connections to the back of the "new" dash?

Last, in this vein, do I have to remove the one combination gauge that
includes the oil pressure, i.e., do I have to get to that pipe fitting
hiding back near the firewall?

I checked the archives and can't find helpful advice on how to manage the
swap, except for one old note from Tom W, which I'll paraphrase as,
"Drop it off with Les, along with your credit card"!

Thanks in advance,
Teddy
69 2000
Pgh PA