Re: Advice on how to swap a high-windshield dash

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Advice on how to swap a high-windshield dash
From: Eric Frisbee <efris@home.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 11:17:09 -0600
Teddy,
     It's not really as tough as it seems (and no, I'm not some 5' guy
with micro hands either!)  I've successfully swapped out the dash on my
'68 2000 with no hassles and currently have a '68/'69 1600 that I have
the dash completely out of.    If you intend to drive or start the car,
you'll want to leave that oil sender line connected to the guage, or
remove the gauge and let it hang... I found out the hard way about the
sender line and just how much oil it can pump when the car is at idle...
Wiring isn't going to be a problem for you, assuming you are swapping a
'69 dash for a '69 dash... if the guages look good and work, then I'd go
that route.   If it's a '68 dash, I know there are some different
connections for the '68 wiring harness.  You could probably leave all
those instruments connected to, but it is kind of a pain to attach them
to the dash that way... lots of under dash/on the back time for that..

What I did with my old cracked '68 2000 dash was "borrow" a '69 1600
dash, removed all instruments except the clock, painted the "interior"
of the '69 dash with Rustoleum, then put all my 2000's instruments in
there, and put it back in my 2000.   the hardest part had to be
reconnecting all those electricals, but somehow I was able to get the
job done, start to finish in 3 hours.

Good luck!   If you need more help, it'll cost ya some hotcakes!  ;)
Eric
WyCROC