Re: timming chain help

To: <DAT240Z73@aol.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: timming chain help
From: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 22:17:19 -0700
>Carl of OROC Wrote - hello list,  today I took the head off my 69 2000 to
replace the leaky  head gasket, (leaked oil on the passenger side right next
to the #4 cylinder) got the head back in place went to put the timing
sprocket back on the cam, it's off just a little, keeping the two bolts from
getting started. I have not installed the tensioner yet thought if would put
too much tension on the chain, am I doing this right?

Carl,

Your doing it right. As long as you started out TDC #1 piston, The alignment
pin on the cam sprocket will be at 12:00 o'clock. put the car in gear and
rock it the little bit you need to line up the bolt holes and yes, it's much
easier to do all this before installing the tensioner. That's the Classic
U-20 oil leak your repairing. Hopefully, you've installed one of the new
gaskets our vendors are selling that has the sealant around the oil passage.
There has been many novel approaches to fix this, but the new gasket has
held up for me so far.

How's your 240 running?

Victor
70 SRL 31113136