U20 Questions

To: "Datsun List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: U20 Questions
From: "Pam and Paul Bauman" <plhbauman@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 20:45:03 -0700
What's up with this U20 thing?

After several years of going through turns sideways, and generally making a
Roadsterass of myself, I refuse to believe that 2000 drivers are that much
harder on their cars than 1600 drivers. Yet, some of the predominant issues
I see on the list regarding U20s are: 'I melted a piston' or 'chewed up
another timing chain' or 'there goes the head gasket'. Come on. guys, even
the AEC has rules to guard against frequent and unexpected meltdowns!

Are there that many more U20s on the road that it skews the statistical
average, or are 2000 engines just an 'event' waiting to happen? What am I to
expect if I buy one of these SRL fixer-uppers as my next restoration
project? Maybe It was blind luck, but I had 96K miles on my car before
rebuilding the engine, and that because it had started to put out smoke and
use a little too much oil. Didn't throw a rod, didn't suck a valve, it just
wore out!

I may still buy a U20, if the price is right, but all this talk is beginning
to sound like a power on the road versus hours on the road thing to
me...help me out, here.

Paul
67 1600