Re: U20 timing cover stud removal

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: U20 timing cover stud removal
From: "Thomas Walter" <ra0618@email.sps.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 13:55:09 -0500
Kyle,

Those studs can be removed... but the one by the cylinder head is
a nightmare to get out. There is just not enough room to remove the
stud, as it bumps into a casting on the head.

I usually will tap and use threaded inserts into the front cover,
so I can run bolts (ala L series motors). There is not that much
casting material around the 6mm studs, so uuse care on drilling
and tapping that everything is straight.

You will almost always rip the headgasket that seals the front
cover. ;-(

DOUBLE HEADGASKET - not recommended. I seem to recall
Stan Chernoff had a steel spacer made for the U20 for this reason.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX