Re: Muffler selection

To: "Stephan Sochoux" <sochoux@yahoo.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Muffler selection
From: "Kyle Hagemann" <kwhcpa@addler.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 17:02:39 -0700
>Hello all,
>
>I'm looking at the Turbo muffler or the Flowmaster,
>any other one to be considered? Anyone has
>experience/recommendations for the roadster?
>
>Thx,
>Stephan
>'69 2000, 70 miles on rebuild.

Hi Stephan-

Flowmasters are exceptionally loud.  I had one on a Z about six
years ago, and I still hear its horrid nasal boom in my sleep....

Turbos OTOH are mellow and quiet.  I heartily recommend the
Dynomax Super Turbo.

I 'discovered' that muffler placement makes a heckuva difference
in noise output - the longer the tailpipe, the quieter.  I had a
'66 1600 with the Dynomax under the driver's seat, and it was
nearly silent.  Had a similar installation on my 521, and it is
also very quiet (also a Dynomax).  My 240Z, with the muffler at
the back, is much MUCH louder; with a buzzy-type racecar scream.

FWIW
Kyle
'72 240Z header/2.5"/Dynomax (loud)
'69 2000 header/2"/Glasspack (super loud)
'71 PL521 cast iron manifold/2"/Dynomax (silent but deadly;-)