Re: Thermostat housing screw???

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Thermostat housing screw???
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 00:01:33 -0700

Ken Pearce wrote:

> The PO had put a sheet-metal type screw between the thermostat housing
> (elbow) and the collar which houses the temperature sending unit.  This
> screw is right where the rear stud is,  and perpendicular to the stud.
>
> Does anyone know why this screw is there?  Is this a common problem and
> a common fix?  (Ross, if you're listening, I vaguely remember you
> pointing out this "fix" when you were looking at my car last year, any
> recollections?)

Sounds like he was trying to get a ground for the water temp gauge. Normally
there's a metal staple
in the gasket between the thermostat housing and the head, but most people goop
it over with gasket
sealer and eliminate the ground (which was pretty iffy in the first place). The
"normal hack" is to
hook a ground wire to the sender with a hose clamp.

A better solution is to make sure the sending unit has a proper ground through
the thermostat
housing. When you put the sending unit in, DO NOT use any RTV or gasket sealer
on it. Make sure it
seats solidly against the thermostat housing. When you put the threaded collar
on it, you can put
some sealer on there, if you think it is needed. Then you just have to make
sure that there is a
ground from the thermostat housing. Some of the early ones had a small threaded
hole directly
opposite the sending unit. I ran a ground wire from there to the ground post on
the alternator.

> Any suggestions are appreciated!  A quick update, the engine is together,
> after 8 months of machine shop visits and parts orders, it goes into the
> car tomorrow!  Is it possible to drop the engine in with most everything
> assembled?  When I took the engine out it was basically down to just the
> block.  I'm hoping I can have the oil pan, head, water pump, valve
> cover...  on and it will still fit easily.  Intake and exhaust manifolds
> are still off.

Sure, complete engines will come out and go in. You might have to wiggle it a
bit to get the header
to clear the motor mount, depending on what header you're using.
--
Gordon Glasgow
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org