Thermostat housing screw???

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Thermostat housing screw???
From: Ken Pearce <kpearce@engr.ukans.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 00:35:39 -0500 (CDT)
The PO had put a sheet-metal type screw between the thermostat housing
(elbow) and the collar which houses the temperature sending unit.  This
screw is right where the rear stud is,  and perpendicular to the stud.

Does anyone know why this screw is there?  Is this a common problem and
a common fix?  (Ross, if you're listening, I vaguely remember you
pointing out this "fix" when you were looking at my car last year, any
recollections?)

Any suggestions are appreciated!  A quick update, the engine is together,
after 8 months of machine shop visits and parts orders, it goes into the
car tomorrow!  Is it possible to drop the engine in with most everything
assembled?  When I took the engine out it was basically down to just the
block.  I'm hoping I can have the oil pan, head, water pump, valve
cover...  on and it will still fit easily.  Intake and exhaust manifolds
are still off.

See you at Shasta!

Ken Pearce, 68-2000
Lawrence, KS