Re: Solex carbs

To: Damian Hall <HALLJD@pictou.nscc.ns.ca>
Subject: Re: Solex carbs
From: Jim Tyler <toplessdatsun@ga.prestige.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 23:30:58 -0400

Damian Hall wrote:

> 1. When did old/ new Solex thing happen?

Over many years, but I don't remember the exact years.

There were the old style OE's sold into the 70's (at least), then the
A-11's(sold through NISMO into the 90's), and at least two "late" versions which
Mikuni refined after
the A-11's (late 80's-90's).

> 3. Are there specific problem areas with these carbs? Should I be 'very
>afraid' or just 'afraid'?

I would avoid the oldest OE's unless you are goofy about building 67.5.  The
only way
I would buy those if off a car you can see and drive.  They have several small
circuits
which get gunked up by sitting around for 30 years and can be a MAJOR pain.
After this
happens, neophytes start really screwing with them.  They often become junk.
These are
of course the worst to get parts for.  The A-11's are better.  The lates are by
far the
nicest to work with and are quite trouble free.

Jim