Trans apart, a few questions (longish)

To: "311" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trans apart, a few questions (longish)
From: "Kyle Hagemann" <kwhcpa@addler.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 08:26:59 -0700
Hi all-

I've got the five speed out of my '69 2000.  The cause of
trouble (I lost first and second gears) was obvious - the
synchro ring BROKE clean thru, jumping up on the inner
guts of the synchro assembly.

So the need for a new one of those is obvious. :-)

The age-old question of "how do you spot a worn synchro"
has bitten me as well - second looks 'pretty good', first
is 'pretty toast', third and fourth look good (points
are still pointy) and fifth looks brand new.  The trans was
out and apart about a year ago, don't know exactly what for,
maybe a fifth gear fix?

Anyway, the other piece that looks like is hatin life is the
1-2 shift fork.  As the synchro ring cracked and jumped
ship, the ring took on sort of an oval shape.  Spinnin round
and round on its last dying ride home, it spread the fork
wider.  The 3-4 fork has about 1/16" slop, maybe less.  The
1-2 fork has closer to 1/4".  Can it simply be whacked back
into shape, or should I get a new one?

Finally, there are a few chipped teeth on the mainshaft's
second gear.  It's hard to describe, but three or four
of the teeth are chipped on the edge closest to the synchro
ring.  How big a deal is this?  The chips are only on the
corners, they aren't complete missing pieces of teeth.

That's the extent of the damage, but I haven't disassembled
the main-/counter-/tail-shafts yet.  A premature question on
reassembly - if the trans was shimmed properly, and I don't
replace any bearings, and I use the same snap rings in the
same locations, will I need to buy a shim kit for it?

Should I take the whole dern thing apart, and rebuild it
for real?  Or should I fix the broken/worn parts and button
it up and get on with my summer?

For the interested, here's the history as I figure it-
1) trans disassembled for unknown repairs prior to purchase
2) felt real good for a while, then
3) second gear synchro gets lazy, requiring double clutching
4) 'dog-shift' from 5th to 1st, whack-bang, cracks the synchro
   ring, tranny feels pretty rough from there on out...
5) first and second gear synchros basically quit, double
   clutching up and down,
6) worse, quit using second at all, and poorly double clutch
   first enough times to chew up the synchro,
7) park it, and stop the dieseling with a hurry-up shifting
   into first gear, B!A!N!G! the synchro ring jumps its track,
   graduating from cracked to split and unseated.  The trans
   makes some real nice rubbing, interference type noises,
   presumably as it widens the 1-2 fork.

Does that seem reasonable?  My only hesitance to embrace this
story is why #3 happened - why did the second gear synchro get
lazy?  When did the second gear teeth chip? (#4 maybe, as it
jumped gears?)

TIA for any input, sorry to be so long winded...

Kyle
ps- came up with an interesting way to keep track of bits and
pieces - a big hunk of cardboard and a pen - poke holes in the
cardboard to hold bolts, nuts, shims, etc, and label 'em with
the pen.... too easy!

       ____  Kyle Hagemann, Born-Again Grease Monkey From Beyond
   _.;(____\____    72 240Z, L28/E88/SU, 5sp, all poly - Z Beast
  `-(#)------(#)-<  69 2000, engine/trans out, making a big mess