Re: Trans apart, a few questions (longish)

To: "William Hatfield" <jhatfield@cavemen.net>,
Subject: Re: Trans apart, a few questions (longish)
From: "Kyle Hagemann" <kwhcpa@addler.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 11:58:31 -0700
>Hello:    Any time a tranny breaks pieces it puts small pieces of metal
>in the oil which will contaminate all the bearings in the unit.  It's a
>really good idea to replace all of them while you have everything
>apart.  Unless cost is a really limiting factor it's best to do a total
>rebuild.  It's good insurance against future problems and will save a
>lot of work later.     My   $ .02  Bill   66&67spls in N.M.
>
>Kyle Hagemann wrote:
>
>> Hi all-
>>
>> I've got the five speed out of my '69 2000.  The cause of
>> trouble (I lost first and second gears) was obvious - the
>> synchro ring BROKE clean thru, jumping up on the inner
>> guts of the synchro assembly.

Hi Bill -

I couldn't agree more.  Luckily, though, the failure was pretty
immediate, and I only limped home about three blocks with the
outta whack synchro hub.  The oil looked really good when I
drained it, and there was only the finest particles on the magnet.

Cost is definitely a factor on this job... as is time.  However,
your comments have basically pushed me over the edge... I'll be
doing a complete teardown.

I *think* the bearings were replaced about one year ago.
Naturally, teardown will confirm the good condition, or make it
known that they need replacement.

What does this list think about my second gear, BTW - it looks
it's an expensive little bugger, and it's only chipped on the
corners of about four teeth.  Can/should I run it as-is?  As it's
been six months+ since I drove it last, the memory fades, but
AIR, it felt fine, except the broken synchro hub.

Thanks for your comments!

Kyle
"just gotta fix it myself, just gotta!"