Re: Emission controls

To: "Brian St. Jacques" <brian@varatouch.com>
Subject: Re: Emission controls
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 10:29:26 PST8PDT
Brian writes:
>  I need to know if the pipe fittings from the emission controls to the exhaust
> manifold are standard pipe fittings...

NO!

With brute force, you can make a standard fitting work - ONCE.
DON'T DO IT!

(I assume we're talking about the four air injectors. The two
fittings on the intake manifold are standard 1/4 pipe plugs)

Tom Walter occasionally makes specially-shaped plugs, but he's
been kinda busy with other things lately. You can buy a set from
Rallye Roadster up in Washington.

The 2000 engines need a specially shaped plug to prevent 'bird chirping'.
Both Tom's and Rallye's plugs are correctly designed. BTW, I have a
set of Tom's plugs in my 1600.

> I also want to remove the hot water line from the intake manifold.

Why? For daily drivers in real-world conditions, manifold preheaters
are there for a legitimate reason.

-- John