Re: U20 Compression & more

To: bitterrootprop@nidlink.com
Subject: Re: U20 Compression & more
From: CarterCM@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 12:19:29 EDT
In a message dated 5/23/00 8:05:15 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
bitterrootprop@nidlink.com writes:

<< I am thinking there are at least two ways to increase compression in the
U20 one is use the flat top style piston and deck the block. The other is
using dome top or pop up type pistons... I am just trying to get an idea what
has been done out there to accomplish this on the U20 race cars.>>

No hands-on experience with real U20 race motors yet (we're starting out with
a relatively stock Solex (Slow-X?) U-20...but

On doing the oral and written history on the '68 Bob Sharp roadster we have,
I found out Sharp built the engine with pop-up pistons. In racing the car,
there was an occasional problem with holed pistons (ALA Victor). By the time
they qualified for the ARRC in Daytona in '69 they had rebuilt the engine
using a decked block with flat pistons. This got a little better power they
thought, but with lots more reliability pistonwise.

BTW, driven by Dave Eagleson, the car DNF'd on the next-to-last lap,
finishing ahead of John Morton, Jim Fitzgerald, and Frank Monise, also in
SRLs.

Craig Carter
Fountain Valley, CA
1970 SRL-311#-14100