Re: "Pseudo-Scientific" Pertronics Test Update

To: "James W. Anable, Jr." <anable@halcyon.com>
Subject: Re: "Pseudo-Scientific" Pertronics Test Update
From: Marc Sayer <msayer1@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 11:55:37 -0700
"James W. Anable, Jr." wrote:

> > The conversion to a solid state or breakerless system of *any sort* will
> > not, in and of itself, improve performance on any car -- when compared
> > to a new, properly set, points system.
>
> What about point bounce/float at high rpm's?  What about multiple spark
>discharge in cars
> with high compression and radical cams, or capacitive discharge, higher
>voltage coils?
> Another plus with high voltate ignitions is that you can increase spark plug
>gap.
>
> There may be negligible improvement in stock engines under normal road
>conditions, but as
> rpm's rise and as you make engine mods, a better ignition should give you
>better
> performance.

I think you missed my point. I was saying the breakerless system *by
itself* does not offer any significant performance improvement over a
perfectly setup and properly working points system. If you start adding
hot boxes and other tricks, that will make a difference, but that is
true whether you are running points or breakerless. As for point
bounce/float, that is actually more unusual than most folks realize, but
if that is a problem, then the breakerless will fix that problem.
Fixing a problem is not exactly a performance improvement per se.

--
Marc Sayer
Editor/Publisher