Re: 4 blade fan spacer???

To: "Dana Nojima (CBN)" <noji@mail.ahc.umn.edu>,
Subject: Re: 4 blade fan spacer???
From: "nruff" <nruffcorn@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 12:40:55 -0500

> Is there the potential for putting in long bolts through the fan clutch?
> I think this is how I had done mine.

Dana,

The previous owner of my car did the same thing.  They had short bolts
threaded into the fan clutch and two that threaded all the way through the
fan pulley.  The set-up seemed "OK" but I replaced it with a factory spacer
when I had it out.  I was afraid that under hard torque that one or more of
the bolts could shear (they are fairly small in diameter).  If I'm not
mistaken, the spacer also helps correctly center the fan, prolonging the
life of the waterpump.  All that said, if I hadn't had a spare spacer, I
would not have thought twice about it and would still be running with the
PO's "fix".

Nathan