Re: Getting the guts to go to 7000 and above

To: Andrew Murphy <solex67@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Getting the guts to go to 7000 and above
From: David & Candy Pina <casalp@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 13:02:09 -0700
How did I get dragged into this? :-)
If you are going to run your engine 7,000 rpm and above, you had better
be ready to pay the piper (Machine shop of your choice) before you do it
or after, possibly both.  I generally ran a 7,500 rpm redline but I had
alot more done than just a solex cam. We are talking different springs,
hotter BRE or Delong  cam, lightened and reshaped rocker arms, special
buttons, recurved distributor, widened oil passages, lightened, shot
peened, balanced...etc..etc..etc. I got to pay before and after, a few
times. The times I hit 8 grand were oversights on my part.  A previous
owner told me he would hit 8,100,rpm at the back straight in 5th! at the
ARRC, before the dogleg was put in. But he had an EXECELLENTparts
connection. My opinion from what I heard and seen, S.U.s are faster till
you are running 6,000 and above. Sometimes, many times, SU cars are
faster in racing conditions, better out of the turns. Calspeeds
georgeous roadster had a little miss the day he came by (get that fixed
yet?) and he did have a little trouble getting it going when we were
starting up a hill.  I am debating wheather to run SUs or Solexes in
auto crossing, some turns are very tight, and that extra torque at low
to mid range would be very helpful.
David Pina