Re: Getting the guts to go to 7000 and above

To: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Getting the guts to go to 7000 and above
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 15:14:09 -0500
>Me, I just want the courage to take my 34 year old engine over 7000 RPMs
>without fear of launching the head through the hood. When I finally do get
>my car on the track, I intend to do just that. 7000 or bust!
>
>So is that the final answer? SUs are better on the road but Solexes rule the
>track? I think Vic Laury and Craig Carter may have some things to say about
>that.

The cool thing is that you don't have to deal with a "30 year old motor".
One of the things that have always impressed me is the quality of the
blocks in these cars. I don't think I've ever pulled the head on one (at
least the L-4s) and found a ridge. If the block's good, new rings,
bearings (if needed) and a valve job can make a big difference in how
hard you can safely push it. You'll definitely want fresh valve springs
to push 7K. This doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg either. There are
bound to be alternative sources for valve springs if the dealer price is
too steep.

While this may seem contradictory to what I said about building a blown
U-20, I don't think it is. We're talking about trwo completely seperate
directions, one freshening a basically stock motor, the other looking for
a lot more power.

FWIW,
Ron

Ronnie Day
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)