How not to cut down your bumpstops..

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: How not to cut down your bumpstops..
From: Dan Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 10:59:14 -0700
Hello All,
        Last night I decided that I had finally had enough understeer and
decided to trim down my front bumpstops per Bob Sharps manual.  Have
you all read the section  on the U-20??   Its great basically he says that the
engine, witht the solex outfit, is so good from the factory that there are no
easy ways to gain more power!!  Compare that with a VW beetle engine made
about the same time!!!  But I digress.
        Now how am I going to cut them?? I cut the back ones, while I had
the rear suspension apart, on a band saw at work it took five minutes and
it was great.  But of course the person who sold me all of my comp stuff
for the front end didn't tell me that I needed to cut down the bump stops.  It
looks to be that removing the bumbstops from an assembled front end is
going to be a royal pita.  I decide that I will try to use a spiral cutting bit
in
my dremel with flex shaft attachment to cut them in place...Have you seem
the commercials for these cutting bits?? Zing ZIng Zing they go rith through
stuff!!!  Great, I'm thinking, this will take five minutes tops...yea right..
Apparently these bits were not made to cut through rubber...Maybe an
hour later with my hands covered in ex-molten rubber they were both cut
to the approximately correct shape....  well not really I basically butchered
the heck out of it...But it was nessassary, with the comp suspension stuff
up front I had less that 1/4 inch of daylight between the bumpstop and
the suspension.. I'm thinking this will give me a SLIGHTLY smoother ride...

                Daniel 69 2000
Now if my roommate would just wake up and move his car I can take mine for
a test drive......