car shows

To: roadsterlist <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: car shows
From: B Strachan <bstrachan@home.com>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 10:37:31 -0700
I haven't seen much about Solvang on the list this year.  Did everyone
have a good time?

One reason I didn't go, we just got back from the Hurricane Rotary
Easter Car Show the weekend before, and while it was a lot of fun, it
was also a long drive.  We just weren't ready for another freeway
marathon, having just put over a thousand miles on the Roadster :-(

Hurricane, Utah is a little town about 20 miles north of St. George,
which is a very scenic area about 20 miles north of the Arizona border
in the southwest part of the state.  It turns out that many towns in
Southern Utah have Spring car shows and I'm planning to go to more of
them. The surroundings are great and you meet some interesting people.

You Roadsterites ought to enter your cars in some of these shows.  I
have only seen one other Roadster in any of the "general interest" car
shows I've attended, and that was Jon Frampton's gorgeous restoration
which took a first place at the Huntington Beach Concours d'Elegance
last year.  We need to get out there and show the flag a bit.  My
Roadster got a lot of attention at Hurricane, although they parked me
next to a really tricked out 'Vette that I thought would steal the
show.  It's good clean fun to just hang around and talk to friendly
people who aren't Roadster owners, but "knew somebody who had one" or
"had one when I was in college" or "always wondered what these things
were". And yes, the Roadster did get a third place trophy even though I
entered it in the wrong class  ;-)

You can see a page of pictures from the Hurricane show at

http://members.home.net/bstrachan/carshow1.JPG

Barrie
'66 2000
San Diego