oil filter/floorboards

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: oil filter/floorboards
From: "Erik A Smeby" <smamy@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 23:44:59 -0500
Spent the weekend gutting the interior, the harness from my parts car looks
great- the tape is a bit crusty, but no melted wires/connectors and only 1
splice that I could find.  Needed all the harness parts because the plugs
were different going to the lights.  Course I will have a fire extinguisher
onhand when I attempt to start it up after getting it all back together,
wish me luck. Funny thing, my parts car seems to have lots of parts that
are in much better shape than my (soon to be) driver.
How do you remove that stuff on the floorboards?  Most of it seems to come
off in large chunks, but some is pretty stubborn.  Any suggestions for a
rust preventative to replace it? alternatives to POR-15 I hear so much
about?
I replaced my oil filter with one suggested from the list, and I believe I
have a problem.  I remember reading something about a drainback tube- I
think I do not have one.  On startup, there is definitely no oil in the
filter- this did not happen with the filter that came off.  That filter is
gone, and I did not see what it was.  My father-in-law mentioned something
about a built in check valve that the filter we took off may have had.
Anybody know of a "modern" filter that may work for me?
All I wanted to do was get it running and enjoy driving it.  As it turns
out, working on it is almost as much fun as the few miles I have driven it.
Perhaps I can get it running well by my 30th b-day in July.
A friend of mine was looking for a fun toy to buy and I recomended the
Datsun- she bought an MG.  At least I tried.
Erik Smeby
Minneapolis
68-9 2L 1600- no interior/dash/carpet/heater core........
70 0L potential restoration candidate. hmmm- could be a winter car. Anybody
got a hardtop they need to get rid of??
I will learn to send shorter messages to the list.