Re: Todd's Failure Analysis Follow-up (long)

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Todd's Failure Analysis Follow-up (long)
From: "Laury, Victor" <LauryV@MTA.NET>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 10:44:36 -0700
>Ooops! 8^ ) Yes, Gregg, you're right... I meant 72" circumference.

Ah Ha! Mistakes DO happen!

Speaking of mistakes, I don't want anybody to think that I'm blaming the
evil karma car gods for what happened to my car. I blame myself. No really.
When I read some of my past posts, the failure analysis becomes quite clear
and boils down to "I'm too cheap to buy a timing light".

I need to apologize to the list for bunch of Horse Pucky I've shoveled upon
you the last two years. Especially the bit about "My Daddies Sure fire
Timing Method". Or "Without a dial back timing light, there's no method of
checking total advance"! When I look back and read this cr**, I'm appalled!

Here's what I've learned from all this. I could have learn all this without
melting my engine and should have. It's been in ever "Tom's Tech Tips"
Distributor FAQ version I've ever read.

1. Buy a timing light
2. Make sure you're not exceeding 35 degrees total advance.
3. If you don't have a fancy light, get a dam protractor out and scribe a
dam 30 and 35 degrees mark on your pulley. (Gee, that's not rocket science)