Re: Todd's Failure Analysis Follow-up (long)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Todd's Failure Analysis Follow-up (long)
From: andycost@att.net
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 16:03:39 +0000
My dad gave me a 69 spl with a U20 B-cam motor & 5-speed
in the trunk(rear engined roadster). I installed the
motor after plastigaugeing(sp) the bearings and putting
a new gasket on the top tensioner. The old one was on
sideways covering the oil hole. The motor kicked,
popped, sputtered, and sent huge flaming backfires out
of the header. I checked every ignition part and
setting, pulled my hair out, and cussed a little when
all seemed fine, but the thing still wouldn't run. I
decided to check the cam timing thinking that the
problem with the tensioner in a previous life may have
made it skip a tooth. Much to my suprise and relief the
keyway on the top gear was at the bottom at TDC and the
timing dimple was on the left(battery) side of the
motor. Someone had installed the cam 180 degrees out. I
wanted to remove the distributor and put it in 180
degrees out but the keyway is offset so that it only
goes in one way. I changed the firing order to 4-2-1-3
and the thing fired right up. Another strange thing
about this motor is the crank pulley. It has rubbed a
notch in the pointer. It is installed with the belt
groove on the radiator side. I think a spacer might be
missing. The groove lines up perfectly with the 1974
impalla alternator I installed, but it is about 1/4" out
of line with the water pump groove. It hasn't thrown the
belt yet.
I put 7" wide wheels with 205/55/14 Kumho autocross
tires. To fit in the rear I used a "special 5 lb. fender
flaring tool". I also turned out some Delrin bushings
for the 23mm front sway bar ends and middle.
I hope to beat my dad (Leisure Suit Terry) at
autocrossing with this little car. Recently he has been
beating me when we both run in his car.
Happy Trails,

Nomad Trash