Lower Radiator Hose/Water Pump

To: Ross <datsun@istar.ca>
Subject: Lower Radiator Hose/Water Pump
From: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 08:39:55 -1000
Wow, Ross--You did right!!!!

Interesting!  May not use UPS 2nd day again!!

In pulling the rad yesterday, I thought "good time to replace the water pump,
now".  I had bought a pump from you because the old one was making noise.
(In my past, I had neglected a noisy roadster water pump to the point that
the shaft froze, sheared, and the fan flew into the radiator, puncturing it!)

Don't know if you recall, but at the time, I found that by spraying WD-40
into the shaft area, the noise would go away--for awhile.  You suggested,
attempting to force some lubricant into the area that "wouldn't evaporate".
I did.  As best I could, I crammed a lot of Lubriplate into the area.  The
noise went away.  That was 5 YEARS AGO!!!

I have your invoice #460078 for the "new"  water pump in front of me, dated
5/15/95.  $115 for the water pump, $20 for UPS 2nd day shipping.  Guess I
really didn't require it quite that fast ;-) !!

Anyhow, the new one came with the hole for the heater hose connection
"plugged".  That is one thing that deterred me in making the
replacement--particularly since the old on was no longer making noise.

Now that will actually make it easier for me to make the decision of taking
the (not needed in Hawaii) heater out of the cooling system loop.  All I have
to do is cap the outlet outlet from the head.

Nice how good things sometimes work out!  Think Murphy owed me one.

Aloha!

Dave
'68 1600
Kailua-Kona