Why #3?

To: "Todd Osborn" <trosborn@california.com>,
Subject: Why #3?
From: "Paul" <9laser3@bright.net>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 06:22:41 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Todd Osborn <trosborn@california.com>
To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Date: Tuesday, May 02, 2000 12:59 AM
Subject: Re: Hole in the piston

> Jeff
>Kroll's '69 SPL (burned #3), Eddie's '66 (burned #3, I think), Victor's
>'70 SRL (burned #3) and perhaps Stephan's '69 SRL. Also Jeff & Victor
>were doing 100+ mph, but Eddie was only doing about 70.  Number 3 seems
>to be a common thread.

  It would appear that it might have something to do with the oil feed also?
I have been working with SCCA GP racer Jim Sloan this spring.  He was
commenting that #3 crank journal is always the one that burns when he loses
a motor on the track.  He quickly explained the stock oil flow through the
crank, then talked about the modifications he currently makes ( enlarged oil
passage in crank and journal bearing ) and went on to talk about the
possibilities of cross drilling the crank for still better oil feed.
 Could any of this lead to burning up a piston?

Paul
OROC
( Mechanic in learning! )