Re: Hole in the piston

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hole in the piston
From: Todd Osborn <trosborn@california.com>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 20:50:56 -0700
Victor,

Glad to here you made it home okay (I still think you should've got the

award for best 3/4 2000, a rare '70 1500!)

This burned piston got me thinking, actually I woke up at 6am Sunday and

couldn't get back to sleep thinking about this. After the 80+ mph fun

run I was a little worried about my car. In the following I would like

to examine root cause (I am not trying to place blame, just doing a

little failure analysis).

Background and observations.

 There have been several burned pistons in the past few years: Jeff

Kroll's '69 SPL (burned #3), Eddie's '66 (burned #3, I think), Victor's

'70 SRL (burned #3) and perhaps Stephan's '69 SRL. Also Jeff & Victor

were doing 100+ mph, but Eddie was only doing about 70.  Number 3 seems

to be a common thread.

Candidate causes.

 Obviously the failure is due to overheating the piston. I suspect the

high temp is due to a lean condition or too much spark advance. Not sure

which is more likely. The other question is why number 3. I orignally

thought this was due to a lean condition, the rear carb sees a little

lower fuel pressure, so 3 & 4 should become fuel starved before 1 & 2.

My assumption was number 3 is charge robbed by number 4. But I did some

timing diagrams Sunday night (warning obsessive behavior), with a firing

order of 1-3-4-2, 3 robs from 4 and 2 robs from 1. Given that and since

number 4 sees the hottest water, one would assume 4 is the most likely

to burn. So what is going on here and how do we prevent it?

Victor did you find anything that might have caused this (I don't think

the 100mph is the only cause)? Spark advance (smog or re-curved dizzy)?

Front vs rear carb mixture (are both screws set about the same)? Did you

notice any intake manifold or carb nuts looser than others? Is the

manifold flat? Were all spark plugs tight (may be hard to determine

since number 3 probably had aluminum sprayed on the threads)? Any other

thoughts? Jeff? Eddie? Stephan? Anyone?

I sure hate to see this happen I would appreciate anyone's ideas on

this.

Todd Osborn (no longer losing sleep, but keeping my speed down)

68 DATSFUN