Re: Rear Brake bias

To: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Brake bias
From: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 14:47:04 -0800
Toby, et al:

OK - I whipped up a spreadsheet comparing force output at the wheel cylinders
over a range of input force values at the master cylinder, given the bore
diameters of the front wheel cylinders, rear wheel cylinders and master
cylinder.  Including the range of rear wheel cylinder bore diameters yields a
good comparison of  the relative braking force obtained from different sized
rear wheel cylinders. The calculation sheet
shows very clearly how the front brakes are applying much more force than the
rears, but figuring out exactly what it all means as regards a comparison of
the amount of braking force you're actually getting at each end of the car is a
different matter, precisely because of the factors you mentioned: differences
in swept area and the presence of the servo effect in the rear drum. Maybe a
little more digging into some of
the reference books is in order here...

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA