Re: Rear Brake bias

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Brake bias
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:51:39 -0800
Actually,
        since the master cylinder bore's the same diameter for both circuits,
it's the wheel cylinders that compensate for the different types of
brakes! (Drums vs. disc)  And wheel position (front vs. back) too.  The
contact area of the disc pad's a few square inches, compared to the many
square inches of the shoe in back (and that's discounting servo action,
which acts as an assist for drum brakes using the wheel's rotation).  So
the big calipers squeeze the front pads hard, while the rear cylinders
push with much less force.
        And that junction block that connects both circuits is just a warning
switch- there's no proportioning valve in the roadster, unlike many
other cars...
        So it's really a pretty straightforward system!
Toby