Beginning of the end?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Beginning of the end?
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:12:20 EST
Snippet from a news article:

>>TOKYO, Nov 11 (Reuters) - Nissan Motor Co, heavily in debt and recently
embarked on a drastic restructuring plan, said on Thursday it would not
compete in the Le Mans 24 hour endurance race in 2000.
``We are eager to return to Le Mans but only when our resources will allow us
to be fully competitive,'' Hajime Kawasaki, Nissan's senior vice president in
charge of motor sport, said in a statement. <<....... and so on.

I'ts a sad, sad day...... backing out of LeMans means saying bye-bye to the
whole racing thing. Somehow I fail to believe that a "comeback" will ever
happen. Even though the newer production Nissans are, IMHO, "uninspired," at
least the effort WAS there to keep up the racing connection. Not that we have
much support from Nissan with our cars now (ie: dealers that have no clue our
cars existed) this puts a major damper on the whole "sports" end of thinking
at a corporate level. We now have a double important duty to keep our cars
running and honor what will be known as "the good old days".

Laurie
70 SPL311
Chandler, AZ