Re: Panic Stop

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, GOAVP@aol.com
Subject: Re: Panic Stop
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 12:40:15 -0800
Hi Peter,

Very glad you're okay. You're absolutely right. Brakes are expensive,
but so are accident repairs! Not to mention the agony of whiplash (which
I went thru 3 years ago due to a red-light runner).

Because my left front brakes went out in my '66, on the way back from
Doheny if I encountered your scenario I'd be in the hospital! This week
I'm in the middle of installing all new brakes on my '66. I'll post
something later. My '70 also has crappy brakes. Thanks to you, I'll bite
the bullet on it also. No more penny-wise, pound-foolish!

Incidentally, I hate ABS. One time I was driving a company GM van with
ABS and the brakes failed on a panic stop. I think GM may have resolved
the problem but I don't trust ABS. There's nothing like locking up the
wheels and screeching to a stop in a short distance, which I don't think
ABS does well at all.

Fred