Re[2]: Front wheel seal removal

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re[2]: Front wheel seal removal
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 09:04:25 -0800
Hi Toby,

Me, CalSpeed, and Dave Gardin had a great time blasting down the central
valley of California to Doheny, over 500 miles. This was a great trip, as
all of us were evenly matched with low-windshield U-20's. On much of I-5
we were the only cars, and might admit to pushing our roadsters a bit
hard. Somewhere along the way, the seal failed and the car was pulling
hard right. The emergency hand brake got me through the rush hour
stop-n-crawl of L.A., and I decided to keep going until we could hit CDM.

At Les' shop, CalSpeed and I bled the brakes and pulled the wheels. Les
and Marc took a look at the screwed up rotor and pads. Marc recommended
against trying to salvage the rotor, and I agreed with him. Once the
metal gets impregnated with contamination on one side, it's never the
same as the other side of the car. Plus it being old and scratched up to
begin with. Honestly, it took about 1 second of decision-making about
buying slotted cross-drilled rotors, as I've wanted them for some time
now! When I got home, "hey honey, I HAD to buy these because the old ones
broke!".

Fred