Re: Paint Stripping

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Paint Stripping
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 00:50:01 -0800
Paul,
        Honestly, don't do anything.  If you take away more metal, you'll just
weaken the panels, and it's pretty unlikely that you'd be able to grind
them straight again.  You could go nuts with a body file, but that would
take FOREVER!  You might be able to fill the worst of the gouges with
what they call glazing putty (thinned body filler, really) to save time
with the primer/surfacer...
        What was probably done, after the damage with the power grinder/sander,
was a few coats of high build primer/surfacer, then lots of sanding.  I
think that's what you're up against again, since the grinder gouges are
places where metal's been physically removed, rather than just dented.
        Modern chemistry is pretty amazing: fix the rust, etch-prime it, hit it
with primer/surfacer, sand for days, then seal it and shoot it.  It'll
last forever, or at least 15 years... Metal damage like that is not
really reparable with sane amounts of cash.
My opinion, obviously...
Toby