Re: SOLEX

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SOLEX
From: Ronnie Day <rday@airmail.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 16:43:14 -0600
>So...since I have to rebuild an engine anyway...how much would it cost me to
>go all the way??
>
>Aside from the carborators, intake manifold and crank...what else do I need
>to do??
>
>Bob Morrow
>69 2000
>68 2000

Gordon's response to my post and Bob's question reminded that you can
always count on any project, auto or otherwise, costing more and taking
longer than you originally planned. That having penetrated my thick skull
after almost 53 years, when I get my latest wild haired idea I try to let
it ferment for awhile (usually because I don't have the disposable cash
to fund it immediately). I think about what I really want to accomplish,
and then decide if the wild a... idea will; 1) really work, 2) work at a
reasonable cost in time and money, and 3) is there an
easier/cheaper/simpler way to accomplish the same results.

One thing that is different about this list, as compared to the 510 list,
is that the members seem to be older and more experienced in the major
life fact that "there ain't no free lunch". I probably got a little too
enthusiastic in praising the benefits of building an L-22, but in the
Datsun world that sort of displacement increase for a couple of hundred
is pretty good. However, if you build a motor right, it's going to cost
some money. I'd guess that a really good stock rebuild on any motor, even
small block Chevys and Fords, is going to eat up a good portion of a $1K
bill if the only parts you replace are bearing and rings. Start tweaking
things and the costs really add up.

Used transmissions and diffs usually need to rebuilt. Suddenly that $150
bargain trans may cost closer to $400-$500. Try buying a good used LSD
R-series diff these days. Usually $800-$1K, but then the LSD unit and R&P
set from Nissan is nearly half again as much. Ouch! Maintaining these
toys isn't cheap, modifying them is downright expensive. Contrary to what
some of the younger, less experienced, folks on the 510 list seem to
think, 200hp from a street motor for a few hundred bucks probably won't
happen, unless you use the aforementioned Chevy or Ford small block. But
that's another thread.<G>

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)