Sigh, what to do

To: <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sigh, what to do
From: "Kyle Hagemann" <kyle@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 09:12:55 -0700
Hi listers

I'm not a terribly active member of the list, though you may have
seen me post from time to time...  that's mostly due to the fact that
I don't know too much about the roadsters (yet?)....

Anyway, I've managed to get myself a '69 2000 in pretty nice shape...
a little bit of rust in the driver's fender, that same fender
wrinkled a bit from tire interference (I'm guessing), but the paint's
good, the body is otherwise straight, interior pretty okay, though
she needs carpet and a recovered seat (BTW, anyone have ONE '72 240Z
seat cover laying about?  Les/Dennis?)

On we go; the B/W tranny is lunched.  Yeah, the dog thread.  The head
gasket is seeping a bit.  It's making a bit of death rattle, usually
on hot restart.  It runs fairly strong, and I've just added a
non-smog  dist a Pertronix ign.

Winter is coming, so it's just about time to do "something" with the
car.  I really shouldn't drive it as is anymore - the tranny's pretty
nasty.

What I'm wondering about specifically is the pro/con of just yanking
the U20 and 5spd and swapping in a different engine, be it L20B,
SR20DE, KA24, or whatever (no, no 13B's ;-)  Theoretically, I'd like
to make this car my daily driver, as it rides much nicer than my 75%
race 240Z, and ought to (again, in theory) get better mileage....

I had a really decent 1600, but sold it looking for more power.... so
that's something to keep in mind.  The U20 is strong "enough", but a
bit more power, especially when combined with EFI reliability or
L-series indestructibility would be GREAT.

I know this thread has been done to death, but I'm really at a loss.
The main thing that keeps me from just refreshing the U20 and 5spd is
the cost.  If it'd cost me say, $1000 to do that vs. 1500 for an
SR20DE with 5spd, well, heck, the extra $500 would be well spent
(especially since there's always a market for those parts...)  My car
is not original, so that's not a concern.  I'm looking for reliable
performance with good fuel economy at a reasonable price.... for the
sake of argument, assume I can weld and fabricate what parts needed,
but don't really want to take the car too far apart (i.e., body off -
cuz once that happens, I know I couldn't stop;-)

Thanks for any advice...

       ____  Kyle Hagemann, Born-Again Grease Monkey From Beyond
   _.;(____\____    72 240Z, L28, 5spd, poly, etc. - The Z-Beast
  |  _ |   |  _'@`, 69 2000, U20, three speed - El Krunchariffic