Re: clutch adjustment questions

To: "Dan Neuman" <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: clutch adjustment questions
From: "Fred Katz" <fredkatz@2xtreme.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 01:27:38 -0700
Hi Dan,

The freeplay is measured under the car at the slave cylinder, with the
spring off. Wiggling the adjusting rod back and forth should give a
distance of about 1/8 inch play, without any resistance. So you're not
pressing in the clutch at all, just wiggling the rod in and out of the
slave cylinder. That will guarantee that you won't have slippage of the
clutch disk, unless the disk is so far gone that the pressure plate won't
be able to hold it against the flywheel, or that the pressure plate springs
are worn out.

If you've adjusted it with 1/8 inch free play, and you still have slippage
then the clutch disk and/or pressure plate are candidates for inspection.
Of course, if you're going to the trouble of pulling the engine and trans
apart, then you might as well have a new clutch disk handy as they are
relatively cheap. (Don't pull the engine just yet, let's take a look at it
together!)

Now if you adjust it with 1/8 inch free play, and the gears won't engage
don't assume the pressure plate is bad. It could be a fault with the
hydraulics. Like a gunked up slave cylinder, leakage in the slave cylinder
wall or master cylinder, etc. Best bet is to bleed the hydraulics until the
fluid is coming out absolutely clear at the slave cylinder.

Fred

----------
> From: Dan Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
> To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
> Subject: clutch adjustment questions
> Date: Friday, October 15, 1999 11:34 PM
>
> Hello All,
>       Well, after my girlfriends birthday clutch smoking I am trying
> to adjust the freeplay in my clutch.  The car is a 69 2000.
>       Okay, so under the car is the slave cylinder.  You can adjust the
> arm(that the slave hooks into, it goes into the trans) out away from the
slave or in towards the slave.  When I adjust it in a lot