clutch adjustment questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: clutch adjustment questions
From: Dan Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 23:34:44 -0700
Hello All,
        Well, after my girlfriends birthday clutch smoking I am trying
to adjust the freeplay in my clutch.  The car is a 69 2000.
        Okay, so under the car is the slave cylinder.  You can adjust the
arm(that the slave hooks into, it goes into the trans) out away from the slave
or in towards the slave.  When I adjust it in a lot
the gears will not engage.  When I adjust it out alot the gears will engage
but the clutch will not hold(it slips like crazy).  Is there a way to find a
happy
medium??
        I know that we are supposed to adjust for a freeplay of like 1/8"
but what does that mean exactly??  That the clutch has to be pressed in 1/8"
untill I start to feel some resistance??  After all this monkeying around my
clutch now seems to have two resistance points.  A little bit of movement that
feels like total freeplay and then a little bump of resistance and then the
main
resistance of the clutch engangeing???  Whats going on here???
        Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.  I have to
]go to my bosses house for a bbq tomorrow and there will be a lot of stop
and go traffic to get there.

                Daniel 69 2000