stripped heads!

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: stripped heads!
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 23:36:19 -0700
There are
        inserts that work pretty well for plugs.  They're not failsafe (they
sometimes unscrew themselves with the plug!) but since the plug seals to
the flat part of the head, they usually hold pressure just fine.
        I've had them put in with the head on the car- even drove it to the
garage with one plug removed (IH Scout, not a roadster).  The shop had a
small vacuum that they ran down into the cylinder, got as many filings
as they could, then put the plug in, started it up, and sent me on my
way.  No ill effects, and compression on that cylinder was fine 6 months
later.  Well, fine for a Scout...
Toby