RE: Upper Chain and Timing-Getting it Right

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Upper Chain and Timing-Getting it Right
From: Jim Tyler <jtyler29@idt.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 09:16:07 -0400
With the engine at TDC, the arrow on the #1 cam tower will be pointing at the
little dowel hole
in the sprocket.

If the head has been cut, the dowel hole will be CCW (viewed from the front of
the engine)
(retarded) slightly.   Use the Sprocket position that puts you closest to the
arrow, but not ahead of it.

There should NOT be "enough slack in the chain so that it could be off a tooth
or so".

There should only be about .060 free play on the upper tensioner.  If there is
much more,
you need a collar around  the upper tensioner shaft which holds out the foot so
that there is only .060
free play.

Jim Tyler